Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Motivated();

//This entry is from my other blog angad-cs3216.typepad.com . Read more there to understand the context.

I dont know, I get a small tiny voice that asks me to blog - (haha! I mean, reflect)

So we have reached the mid-assignment submission and our team's application is up with a few broken connections and lacking what it is actually made for :)
I believe what we have the back end and the front-end right now, will be quite different a week later. Completing all the "aspirations" and making our app "click-and-does-something" gives a sense of satisfaction. Its still a long walk to go, with more night campings at SoC.

Talking about my past 2 days, I have missed 2 lectures, almost slept in a tutorial today and my room is like a total mess with clothes waiting to go for laundry (ok, I know that I am gross to mention this, but this depicts that I just come to my room to sleep, and sometimes not even that :P).

But the experience that has come in working with a team is price-less. Learning so many things in such a short period of time and then implementing it is really an achievement for us. I had read this quote somewhere
- though I forget the exact words -
Success is not measured by how high the person has reached,
but by the distance from which the person started.
I am of the opinion that learning anything is never beyond my scope, and there is no age for learning. Actually learning is a life-long process, and those who believe that learning stops when u stop studying, are mistaken. There was this interview with Will Smith some years ago in Reader's Digest magazine that I had read and luckily I found it on their website.
http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/will-smith-interview/article31133.html

Just read it, and if you cant I will pick up the most important line from in there

"I know how to learn anything I want to learn. I absolutely know that I could learn how to fly the space shuttle because someone else knows how to fly it, and they put it in a book. Give me the book, and I do not need somebody to stand up in front of the class."
....
"The first step is you have to say that you can."

Though this may sound simple but one has to say that "I can".

I dont know why I am recalling such motivational stuff... I have another story that I had heard once on the All India Radio FM channel  (as I write this, I googled up 'Bamboo and Fern story' and the exact story is there). So I will just quote it from there - (Better than my telling a story in rather haywire manner :P)

--------------------
One day I decided to quit…I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality.
I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
“God”, I said. “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?”
His answer surprised me.
“Look around”, He said. “Do you see the fern and the bamboo?”
“Yes”, I replied.
“When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.
In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.
“In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. The same in year four.
“Then in the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern, it was seemingly small and insignificant.
But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall.
It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.
“Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots? I would not quit on the bamboo.. I will never quit on you.
“Don’t compare yourself to others.” He said. “The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful.
“Your time will come”, God said to me. “You will rise high"
--------------

So with a hope for good "aspirations" (pun intended), I hit my bed for a peaceful sleep.
P.S.: I hope to touch other modules tomorrow as it is the only day that I feel I am a bit free from 3216 stuff. Weekend : Learn more :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger