Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2009

My 18th Budday!!

I had come to Singapore on 26th July with my parents. It was fun to have them here for a week. They helped me in settling down, and more importantly, they were satisfied that they had seen the place where their son intended to spend the next 4 years.
My 18th Birthday was on 31st July 2009 and it was celebrated amongst the all-new friends at NUS. I was rather foolish not to spend the night of 30th July with my parents who were staying in Copthorne Orchid. But it was an experience in itself to get my birthday celebrated in a different style in PGP.
Just 3 days before my birthday, Sahil aka. Gandhi had his birthday and after his birthday was celebrated, I had half a mind to not to stay in PGP on my bday night!

At midnight Geetika, Ayushi, Sasha, Aadarsh, Kaustav, Rajul, Sahil, Sumit, Sukrit and some others gathered in my Block 12 Level 12 Kitchen and I was ready to be slaughtered at their hands. 2 small muffins as cake and a bottle of coke were not consumed. They were over me and my clothes. A small round of kicks on my butt (which later required a hot shower) ended the deal. Not much harm was done as they couldnt get the opportunity to throw me into the pool.
The night was rather eventful including a stroll on the Pasir Panjang Road later.
Leaving the description apart, the thing about my 18th Birthday was that that I was now an adult. Well yeah, everybody becomes an adult on their 18th Birthday. But there was something different about my turning into an adult. It was an actual forced transformation on me. Here it goes.

I came to Singapore as a child with my mum dad. As soon as I turned 18, my parents left for India. It was as if they left me to take care of myself as an adult, self-responsible, (add to that - doing my own laundry) living on my own. It was good to get such freedom, independence and a sense of responsibility.

But with this experience I can say :
I turned into an adult on my 18th Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger