Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Login to SoC unix shell off-campus.(Ubuntu)

I have been trying to connect to the SoCVPN to access my SoC Unix account from Windows and it was no luck. No idea why. Linux came to the rescue. This just gives a short description to connect to SoC VPN from ubuntu. Though the master document lies at opensource.nus.edu.sg , I just have a small one here but this method works for the lazy guy :) Only for ubuntu.

make sure you are root user (sudo /bin/bash)
  • sudo apt-get install openvpn
  • download socvpn.conf (source linuxNUS)
  • download socca.crt (source SoC)
  • openvpn --config /download/path/here/Socvpn.conf --ca /download/path/here/Socca.crt
  • sudo apt-get install ssh
  • ssh username@sunfire.comp.nus.edu.sg
  • You are in!
This was the simplest method I found. Should get you in. Refer more at the master wiki here

Ask queries at #linuxnus IRC channel

2 comments:

  1. actually you only have to type the last sentence and it's enough already :-? dont have to config socvnp or socca.
    it works for me without any additional installation (ubunutu 9.10). you can also access your file through nautilus by typing ssh://username@sunfire.comp.nus.edu.sg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hung,
    Well this is what I wrote for accessing SoCVPN outside NUS Campus (when I was back in India during holidays).
    I think I should have made it clear at the top :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger