Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

3 days of Sem2

This post has been lifted from my other blog angad-cs3216.typepad.com


Its been nearly 18hrs since the Show-and-tell session of CS3216 has ended and I feel that the sooner I write, the better I recall.
But still I am not going to write about whatever I inferred from the session. My inference is with me and I am still twirling those thought threads.
Let those threads weave some material, and till then, I will just be writing about my past 3 days.
I landed in Singapore after the holidays on 10th Sunday Morning. A sleepless 6hr night flight imposed a 5 hr day time sleep. A sudden change in climate (I come from a place in India that is a valley and has usual temperature of 4-7 degree celsius during winters) gave me a terrible headache and a cold. No worries, it subsided by the next day :)
My usual *bed-hitting* time back in India was around 1-2 am. In Singapore time, it converts to 4-5 am. My first night was sleepless. I took advantage and watched the 2 3216 guiding videos again with a friend of mine, suffering from the same phase of insomnia.
I got up next day early with just 4 hrs sleep, in search for a laptop with a parallel port. I had brought along a school project of mine which I had intended to show "working" during the show-and-tell session, An RC car controlled by the PC keyboard. Bad Luck, Parallel Port is outdated :(
The whole day was rather eventful with a 2-4pm lecture of CG1108, the new form of EG1108, a 4MC module. It was really interesting to know that we would be programming LEGO robots in the module, unlike any previous 1108 course. This was another of the time that I felt good that I had taken this "new" Computer Engineering Course. More details about my major here.
I feel really good about the 1108 module. It is also a really innovative type one, and with a passion for embedded systems, I am really liking it. An excerpt later.
I was rather disappointed as I couldnt show off the feat that I had achieved in high school. Though simple but my first introduction to hardware interfacing with a computer. The parallel port is really gone now. But I can just say this now, that the RC car did not have any microcontroller for its logic. The whole logic was the parallel port with 8 bits for output and 8 (or so) bits for input (light sensing). And I really liked the flexibility that parallel port gave over the serial port, (for a simple project like that). Serial port would have required an external circuit to transmit data to the remote.
Moving on, the Show and tell was fun for me. I perhaps have to read up some blogs right now and get in the flow of thinking about what I can give to a team.
The session ended late and I had already missed the bus to PGP. So walking down with Adhiraj and Cedric was fun. We kinda bonded and shared lots of insightful threads of memories and thoughts. We came up with team plans and what the team should be like and what all programming skills need to be brushed up or picked. Though perhaps we had an inclination of forming a team there and then, but it was good to hold it for that night and wait for some channeled thoughts from our own minds and other great minds from this module.
After a quick dinner with Cedric at the Supper House, I headed back to my room. A good friend of mine and I sat for another 2-3 hrs discussing all the entrepreneurial and philosophical stuff. Catching up on whatever we had been upto during the holidays was fun. Perhaps he is the best peer I can look up to for bits of advice. USP and his own skills have perhaps really made him capable of that.
Sleeping at 4 am and then again waking up at 8 am for a 9am lecture was a bit tough. Loud and numerous alarms help. CG1102 was the 9-12 lecture by Prof Colin Tan. It was basically an introduction to C++. I used a significant amount of time during the 3 hr period to go over the last night events and create a mental picture of what tree I am climbing on. A lunch and then 2-5 pm (just 3 hrs before I post this) CG1108 lab exhausted me. Coming back to CG1108, I really loved and cherished the lab. We were given a LEGO Mindstorms kit and asked to make the robot (according to the pictorial instructions) and then program it to follow an oval shaped black line. I was on the software part for my team of 4. A simple switch case and if else, and it was fun to know that my robot was the fastest :) and smooth over the curves.
And now I am here finishing this blog post. And I will be coming back soon after dinner to write another one over the last night experience and the usual "selling myself" on the blog.
P.S. : I believe, for rather average oratory skill set, blogging is the best "Show-and-tell".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger