Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

My essay for USP 2nd Intake

This is my essay for my USP application 2nd Intake. Though I am still awaiting the result for it (and I have really low hopes of getting through).
Still, here is it



Write an essay that explains why you’ve been intrigued by an idea, concept, or theory you have encountered. This idea can come from either a traditional academic discipline ‐‐ such as history, science, philosophy, or mathematics ‐‐ or from fields such as film, engineering, art, or politics.
In planning your essay, bear the following in mind: we are looking for evidence of your specific, first‐hand response to an idea or theory. Your essay should identify the idea and explain if you have a personal, unique, or notable relation to it. Then, analyze the concept with as much detail and depth as possible, explaining how your engagement with this idea changed or broadened your thinking.




The idea that has intrigued me most is the concept of Open Source Software. We live in an era of computers and we have to use software for all tasks with computers. Open Source Software, usually free, is the software that is available with its source code that can be modified or even redistributed depending on the general public license. As compared to proprietary software it is not locked down with any end-user agreements and copyrights.
Being a student of computer engineering, I have a deep passion in understanding the intricacies of technology and inferring the associated impacts of the technology on a common user. I was introduced to programming in my secondary school years. Since then I have always held a curious outlook to the upcoming technologies. During my high school years, I used programming and other computing tools for various tasks of which Open Source Software formed an important part.
Using Linux as my operating system on my computer has made me an advanced user and an admirer of Open Source technologies. It has enabled me to make use of my programming skills to help in the community driven projects. The code is open, visible to everyone. I am no longer just a user, blindly accepting technology with its flaws. The openness of code gives one full control over the program and with the necessary knowledge I can make full use of it for my tasks. It induces self-learning.
The philosophy behind Open Source Software is simple: it decentralizes computing brain-power. The Basic functionality of a computer is the software that runs on it. For instance, the most necessary software that is required is the operating system and a word processor which can be regarded as a commodity that is widely available from many suppliers. It is like clothing. It does not make sense at all for every individual user to pay hundreds of dollars for each software license when the technology is common and ultimately does the same thing. Commodities can be sold, but if a premium is charged over it, somebody else will soon undercut it.
When it comes to custom software management, concept of commoditization fails. According to me, the maintenance and development of software that provides custom solutions has a selling point in the market. But selling standard operating system or application software is pointless. Software that is developed outside the constraints of license agreements and copyrights, by a community guided with a common passion is much more acceptable to me than proprietary software. Free access to software tools is a pre-requisite to the existence of the software community.


Singapore is a technology-ready country. Since I came here for my undergraduate studies earlier this year, I have actively taken interest in the local Open Source user and developer groups. I am an active part of the linuxNUS interest group and have also helped organize its events. There are many active groups whom I aim to be a part of by contributing to and supporting the movement.
Apart from inducing scientific temperament, the Open Source concept has also broadened my thinking in an ethical sense. I respect other peoples’ work, ensuring proper credit to the creator of the software and others who introduce subsequent changes. Sharing information and learning at the same time ensures a healthy development environment.
Though I am still in the learning phase and it will continue forever, I realize the importance of community effort and the need for open source software. I believe that technology should not be held in the hands of monopolistic giants. It should be available to everybody to collaborate and even modify it to suit somebody’s needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger